Welcome to the U.S. Army Dental Corps history webpage. The page intends to make available to all interested in the history of dentistry information about Army dentistry, a service that not only serves the health needs of individual soldiers and other beneficiaries but also serves the requirements of national defense. Comments and recommendations about content can be submitted through the Office of Medical History Webmaster to the attention of the Dental Corps Consultant for dental history.
U.S. ARMY DENTAL CORPS CHIEFS
- Oral History Interviews
- U.S. Army Dental Corps History Brief (4MB)
- A History of Dentistry in the US Army to World War II. by JM Hyson, JWA Whitehorne and JT Greenwood, 2009.
- 2012 Edition Highlights in the History of U.S. Army Dentistry - a chronology with brief descriptions
- African-American Dental Surgeons and the U.S. Army Dental Corps: A Struggle for Acceptance, 1901-1919 - an article by Hyson
- John Sayre Marshall`s Report to the 1901 National Dental Association Annual Meeting: "Organization of the Dental Corps of the U.S. Army, With Suggestions upon the Educational Requirements for Military Dental Practice"
- Walter D. Vail & the History of the U.S. Army Dental Corps
LEADERS OF ARMY DENTISTRY
- Ben Salomon and the Medal of Honor by Colonel (Retired) William T. Bowers
- Captain Ben Salomon - Official Citation for MOH
- John Sayre Marshall - The Dental Bulletin, Volume XI, No. 3 (July 1940), John Sayre Marshall, Pioneer Army Dental Surgeon (1846-1922)
- Oral History Interviews, United States Dental Corps - Eight DC general officers interviewed in 1995
WORLD WAR I
- The Medical Department in the World War, Volume I, The Surgeon General`s Office, Chapter IV, Dental Division
- The Medical Department of the United States Army in the World War, Volume II, Administration American Expeditionary Forces, Chapter VI
- Raymond E. Ingalls - Dental Bulletin Supplement to the Army Medical Bulletin, Volume 10, No. 1 (January 1939), The Diary of a Dental Officer
- Excerpt from the United States Army in the World War 1917-1919, Reports of the Commander-In-Chief, Staff Sections and Services, Volume 15, History of the Dental Service, A.E.F.
WORLD WAR II